Monday, 25 May 2015

First Summer Exam and Second Meeting

I'm tired, so this might be short. I was very nervous about today because I had both my first summer exam (my least favourite subject, History) and a meeting with a professor to discuss the future of my research project (which I need to stop calling a Young Scientist project). 

I'm wary of talking too much about the meeting at this sensitive stage, but it went well and they were very enthusiastic, which was encouraging. I left school after History, having rescheduled the French exam to tomorrow, and M.O.R. drove me to the train station, we got the train together and then a Luas to the hospital where the group is based. Meeting complete, we did that in reverse and she dropped me home. On the way, we discussed a lot of things. She has so many stories to tell, it's great.

It feels really good to be making progress on the project. I've a good bit of work to do, but I don't mind that. I just hate indecision and being stuck. So this is good. 

The History exam was okay. I wasn't the biggest fan of the titles given, but they were doable. We had to do one essay each from the Ireland 1870-1914 and America post-WW2 sections, plus another from a section of our choice within those. I did one on Ireland (about steps taken for Home Rule between 1870 and 1886) and two on America (about the extent to which the American economy experienced boom and decline between 1945 and 1989, and about why the US lost the Vietnam war and the significance of the Moon landing). I was very satisfied with how I tied Vietnam and the moon landing together, I had a very fancy and dramatic introduction.

My essays were relatively short (all between 3 and 4 pages each) but in fairness, I had 3 of them to write in 150 minutes. I used three booklets. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with how it went. I'm almost glad I didn't get many of the titles I wanted, because now I know I can deal with the harder ones. I don't know what grade I got, but I could reasonably get the A.

So today's been a success. I should really study for my French and Irish exams tomorrow, but that's unlikely to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment