Saturday, 23 May 2015

Pros and Cons of Blogging Daily

This post is probably a little poorly-timed because I didn't blog yesterday, but on the whole I do blog daily so let's just go with the premise.

Just before I get into the post, I want to mention that votes are being counted as I write this in the Marriage Equality referendum in Ireland, and the Yes side is winning by a wide margin. Thanks so much to everyone who voted for the first time, everyone who came from overseas to vote, to the old people who weren't as prejudiced as we assumed, and to everyone else who voted for equality. I'm not one for nationalism, but today I'm very proud to be Irish - the first country to legalise same-sex marriage by popular vote.

Pro #1: Routine

When I didn't blog daily, I blogged monthly. Literally - I had about one post per month in September, October and November. There's not much point having a blog like that unless your posts are really landmark. Those posts were jam-packed, yes, but they're not much good for me as I look back because they just don't contain enough information to jog my memory. I decided in early December to blog daily (which was a crazy decision, considering how stressed I was about Young Scientist at the time) and have kept up with that pretty well so far. 

In short: blogging daily is the best way to ensure I blog at all, because it forces me to keep to a schedule. Even if I want to soften it later, at least I've trained myself to do it now.

Con #1: Lower-Quality Content

I do try to avoid this, of course, but the truth is that truly stellar posts can take days or even weeks to write, especially if you're researching them. I've had a few posts that I feel I could really do more justice to if I spent another day writing, but I couldn't because that would mean missing a day. Also, if there's a day where I don't really have anything in particular to blog about, I end up writing a post that isn't great.

Pro #2: Truer-to-Life

If I'm only posting occasionally, I'm going to be giving a very edited version of my life, just posting about the awards ceremonies or amazing days. I feel like you get a much better picture of me as a person when you can see what my normal days are like too. I've definitely had some backlash from being honest here, but it's important to me to express myself. 

I'm sure I'll find some of this cringey when I'm older, but at least it won't be faux-cringey. I like authenticity.

Con #2: Hide good posts

Blogging daily means there's a frequent influx of new posts drowning out old ones. If someone happens to come onto my blog's homepage, they'll have to scroll to get to the best posts. If I blogged less often, the posts I'm most proud of could stay at the top of the page for longer. 


Pro #3: Build Audience

Blogging daily (or at least on a set schedule) builds a routine for my readers too. People aren't going to frequent a blog that's only sporadically updated, because there's no point. If they know they'll find something new every time they come, they're much more likely to become loyal readers. At least, that's been my experience.

Con #3: Hassle

Let's face it, it's not easy to blog daily - especially when you're like me, whose blog posts are usually anywhere from 500-2000 words long. That takes an hour to write, though it depends whether it's a descriptive account of my day (faster) or an opinion piece (slower). I have a lot of other demands on my time including school and research, so this isn't exactly a trivial pursuit. Blog posts don't write themselves, I have to sit down and put work into it.

Pro #4: Writing Experience

Writing any blog posts (unless they're extremely photo-heavy) is good writing experience, but blogging daily really helps with working on deadline. I used to write 1,000 words of fiction a day and that was good, but it could be total trash whereas this has to be better because the world can see it. Handy for freelancing and school. 

Con #4: Annoying

I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but I do worry that my daily blog-related Tweet annoys people and might make them less likely to click on it. It doesn't seem to have had too much of an impact yet, though. 

Conclusion

Those are some quick pros and cons of blogging daily. I have "Blog 90%+ of days until July 1st" as one of my goals, so I'm going to do that. Afterwards, though, I might blog every two or three days. I think by now I've established the habit. Anyway, we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment