Friday, 15 May 2015

School Prizegiving 2015

Hello! So, today was awesome. I had two awards ceremonies: my school's annual Prizegiving, and Drogheda Young Innovators, a competition for entrepreneurs, scientists and social doers. Both were very exciting, so I'm going to split it into two posts. Today will just cover school Prizegiving. 

I was really looking forward to this. I knew some of the things I'd won, but there were also lots of surprises. Here's what I won (you'll have to ignore the Drogheda Young Innovators trophy and certs, this picture shows everything I won today). 


It's difficult to count them because I have to decide whether to count multiple prizes within one area individually, whether to count things I didn't really have to work for, etc. My most generous count says 16 (excluding DYI), least says about 7 (excluding scholarship, multiples and YS stuff which are prizes from outside school). 

I heard that you get a nomination for Best Academic Effort if even one teacher nominates you, so it was depressing to hear not one had for me. Guess I missed a lot of school for all my activities. 

So I've finally beaten 2nd year's record! Let's break it down, in order of when I received the prizes. 



After a three year streak of winning 1st prize in the English essay competition, I only got 2nd this year. My friend Cliodhna came first though, so that's grand and I'm proud of her. I got The Catcher in the Rye, which is fab because I've never read it but have heard great things. My essay was titled 'A Crash Course in Ukulele Lore'.


I then won 1st prize in the Irish essay competition. Usually they give out book vouchers, but this year they gave out books. This was a bit annoying because I'm going to find the book very difficult to read since I'm not fluent in Irish, but I'll give it a go. I got this for an essay about how we can improve Irish education. 


While I was on stage getting the Irish award, my name was announced for the CTYI bursary (which the school calls a DCU scholarship). It's a few hundred euro towards the cost of a CTYI course, and the school  pays it for all students who pass the aptitude test. I really, really appreciate it, school. You're great. 



Here are my chess prizes. I actually won the most medals of anyone in the chess club (with the caveat that I'm a beginner so I'm in an easier section than some of the others). But still, I'm proud. I worked hard for these on something I didn't find naturally easy. I got to choose some books because of that. I really love the medals. I wore them for the rest of the day. 


Here's my prize for public speaking, along with medal for debating. This was a huge surprise, as I completely forgot I did Soroptimists. Apparently this made me eligible for a Debating prize, though, which is nice. 

Then there were the Science awards. It was sad that MOR couldn't be there, but she's in America with Anna (who's had amazing success, I'll tell you about that tomorrow). Most of these weren't real awards because I'd actually been awarded them in June at Sentinus, but the school re-presents them to you in front of the student body if it happened in the year of the Prizegiving, and this was no exception. Instead of a participation trophy  they gave us book vouchers this year. I still treasure my globe and pen trophy from last year. I didn't bother taking a picture of these trophies, but they're the glass ones in the top picture. 





It was funny, doing circuits from my seat to the stage to the photos. Teachers kept saying things like "You sure you don't need a truck for those?" so that was fun. Great start to the day, and gave me confidence for the next part. 

My sister also did really well, winning loads of prizes (around 13 being generous, I think). It was awesome. Her class got mad at her, apparently, saying she wasn't leaving any prizes for anyone else. Honestly, though, isn't that their own fault for not entering? All of my fellow Young Scientists won Best Academic Effort in their classes (and lots more besides), so congrats. One of my first years also won that. You're all fabulous. 

And Sarah won Head Girl, with Onai as Vice, so congrats to both of you. 


1 comment:

  1. As I website possessor I believe the content material here is rattling fantastic , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.
    custom essay writing Ireland

    ReplyDelete