Friday, 5 August 2016

Goals August 2016 - July 2017

Every once in a while, when I'm feeling overwhelmed, I like to sit down and figure out what my goals and projects are for the next while. I did that a few days ago and felt much better afterwards. So here they are, in no particular order.

1. Complete Nobel Project for Physics and Chemistry

As a way to take a swing through important parts of science over the last century, I'm learning about each Nobel Prize winner (deeply enough that I understand the basics of what their Prize-winning work was) and then writing a short piece on each. I'll be doing 6 months of Physics and 6 months of Chemistry to cover all Nobel awardees, and you can follow along with the project here

2. Get Syndicalab running in 3 locations

You can find a blog post about Syndicalab here. This one is going to be a big challenge - I'm reaching out to some people I know and going to do something with a college research soc. If you have any ideas or want to help, contact me on Twitter @frizzyroselle.

3. Organise college science fair

Because why should science fairs be just for second-level students?

4. Read 15+ science books

I'm currently most of the way through A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, and before that I read A Short History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Books I'm planning to read for this include Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman, Cosmos, The Emperor of all Maladies, The Selfish Gene, The Trouble with Physics, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore, Godel, Escher, Bach and Thinking, Fast and Slow. Plus more, obviously. I can count.

5. Do a research project

I'm just collecting research questions at the moment - the research or prep for it has not yet begun.

6. Reach 1000+ students with antibiotic resistance campaign

As you may know, I'm passionate about slowing the spread of antibiotic resistance. So I have a presentation and I'm aiming to take it to primary school (5th/6th class) classrooms and reach 1000 kids with it over the next year. 

7. Challenge Assumptions

This one is purely personal development. I have a lot of things I believe in just because the people around me do, so I want to examine any beliefs I have without evidence. I'm going to do that by looking for evidence (where applicable) and coming up with as many points as I can on the pro- and against side of the argument.

8. Perform music for a big audience 3 times

It's been a while since I did that, and it'll motivate me with two of the things I want to learn - classical piano and increasing my ukulele repertoire. Big doesn't have to be massive, but something more than just friends/family.

9. Get at least 30 mins of exercise at least 90% of days

I am unfortunately very sedentary usually, and that's bad for my mental and physical health. So I'm going to make sure that even on lazy days I get out and do something, even if it's just walking my dog for half an hour.

10. Speak at 6+ events

I discovered after speaking at the World Youth Organisation's International Women's Day event how much I love public speaking, and my experience at Inspirefest reinforced that. So I'm going to try and do as many speaking gigs as I can this year. 

I already have two lined up: I'll be speaking at Zeminar in October, and am in the final stage of consideration to speak at TEDxDrogheda in September. So I'm on track here!

11. Get a First in college

Basically, I want to do really really well academically in college. Fortunately, I love studying as much as I love the #studyblr aesthetic, so if I work my butt off (to manage all the other things) hopefully I can do this.

12. Blog at least weekly

I'll be very busy, so I can't blog all the time, but I want to make sure there are no stretches with one blog post a month. So I'll be blogging weekly.

13. Publish 20+ paid freelance articles

I've had one greenlit since I put down these goals three days ago. Seriously, guys, writing down your goals and making them quantifiable is amaaazing. 

14. 2 YP-ETSN projects

I'm one of the two Irish representatives in the Youth Platform of the European Talent Support Network set up by the European Council of High Ability, and I want to do two impactful projects with the YP this year to improve gifted education policy in Europe.


__________________________________________________________________________

So those are my goals! I made a spreadsheet to keep track of progress towards them and I promise you, it delights me. I really love spreadsheets and graphs. I would show you it but unfortunately the screenshot is refusing to upload. Anyway...




No comments:

Post a Comment