Wednesday 6 February 2013

Blood Ties - Sophie McKenzie Review

Before I start the review, some news. My school ran a book review competition just after Christmas and I entered my review of Partials by Dan Wells which is here http://darquessedreams.blogspot.ie/2013/01/partials-dan-wells-review.html  . There were hundreds of entries but I came second and got a voucher for a bookshop, which means more reviews for you! I was happy with second, since I accidentally handed it in late anyway. Moving on.

Official Summary:
A gripping thriller from the Richard and Judy award-winning author of Girl, Missing, Sophie McKenzie.

When Theo discovers the father he thought died when he was a baby is still alive, he's determined to find him. The clues lead him to the lonely Rachel, who has problems of her own, including parents who compare her unfavourably to her long-dead sister.

But when Rachel and Theo are attacked by men from RAGE - the Righteous Army against Genetic Engineering - at Rachel's school disco, they are rescued by strangers and taken to meet a mysterious figure. There, they both make some startling discoveries about their identities, which will affect their past, present, and future in dramatic and life-altering ways...


Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: Christmas Present
                                                          Genre: Fiction, Thriller
In Short: Gripping, enjoyable, fast-paced novel with a little humour thrown in. I'd read it again.
Rating: 4 Stars
The Breakdown:

Initial Reaction:
No, this book is not a crime novel. Although it touches on that. Ignore the title, it's a clue to the big reveal at the end of the book. Look back on it later and wonder.Overall it's a  nice cover, nothing too fancy. I am really diversifying in my taste in genre!

Setting:
Blood Ties is futuristic in its science, but not noticeably so. It might not be set in the future at all, actually, if what's done in the story could possibly be done at some high-tech resort in the world today. The scary truth is that with someone intelligent enough at the helm it probably could. I like the background story, Rebecca is very intriguing.

Characters:
Rachel and Theo were refreshingly...normal after all my kickass heroines. Rachel's backstory was heartbreaking and realistic, especially the constant comparisons with her dead sister. Theo's fraught relationship with his mother and his over-independence were great to read about. The characters were great vehicles for the narrative as well. The scene with Roy at the start is excellent.

Plot:
There is a fast, driven, purposeful plot and it's great fun, to put it simply. The momentum of the energetic first scene is somehow sustained throughout the whole novel and builds towards the climax, and what a climax it is. The narrative is satisfyingly filled out and runs smoothly.

Jumped out at me: Am I ALLOWED say Science AGAIN?
I've said Science already. I apologise. Of course I don't. I'll change to technology instead. I wish I could say what the actual technology is, but that is the biggest spoiler I can possibly think of so it's not happening.

Overall: Very likely to be re-read if you buy it. Also, get Girl, Missing by the same author. Though I have yet to read it it's said to be very good and is on my TBR list.


No comments:

Post a Comment