For the first time, I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Just this time I decided to choose my own topic (Let's pretend it's May 28th - Tuesday Freebie). I think someone's favourite quotes say a lot about them, so I'm listing my Top Ten Favourite Quotes!
10. 'To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.' - Oscar Wilde.
Oh Oscar, you legend. Also, 'Take everything in moderation, especially moderation.' I think you just wrote to amuse yourself with your smug ingenuity.
9. 'Easy reading is damn hard writing.' - Nathaniel Hawthorne
This is so true. I love reading beautiful prose, but having started writing a novel, it's rare that writing like that comes without very hard work. Of course, when it does it feels sublime.
8. 'You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams' - Dr. Seuss.
I'm incredibly sentimental, and I fall too hard. But this is still a gorgeous quote.
7. 'These violent delights have violent ends,
And in their triumph die; like fire and powder,
Which, as they kiss consume.' - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet.
This just gives me chills when I hear it. We studied Romeo and Juliet for the exams, but it's also on the first page Breaking Dawn. And, not that I'm a Twihard, but I think that gives it a certain quality...any book written with that in mind is powerful, at least in the parts which truly show the spirit of Friar Laurence's statement.
6. 'Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel like I should be doing something else.' - Gloria Steinem.
I often find myself unable to study because I'm being tugged towards writing. During exams, I feel guilty writing. Then again, I feel guilty when I don't!
5. 'One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.' - Plato
I like a lot of Plato's quotes. I think I'm going to spend a good bit of the summer after the Junior Cert reading him. Should be an interesting experience.
4. 'I've been spending the last eight months, thinking all love ever does is break, burn end....
But on a Wednesday, in a café, I watched it begin again.' - Taylor Swift, Begin Again.
This was one I loved when I wasn't single, but it stays with me now, because it's so full of hope.
3. 'So many books, so little time.' - Frank Zappa
Oh, the bookworm life.
2. 'You cannot hope to sweep someone else away with the force of your writing until it has been done to you.' - Stephen King.
I practically live by this in my writing. I celebrate those scenes. For example, you write a genuinely sad scene and it actually makes you cry. That's one of the most important things in writing, I think.
1. “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” - Apple, Inc.
I love this quote. I think it really reflects the originality of Apple products and it's just so inspirational, because I'm one of those people.
3. 'Always.' - Severus Snape.
Just how emotionally loaded was that line?
My exams start tomorrow, can you believe it, (I have 10 of them) so I'm getting this post out of the way now, but I'll be back next week!
So, what did you think? What are your all-time favourite quotes? Comment below!
Hey guys. This month has mostly just been normal college stuff, which is fun but not particularly interesting for other people. So I'...
Hey dudes! Last Saturday, I was awarded a Naughton scholarship along with 34 other people. I was really thrilled and grateful when I was tol...
October's been a busy month, to say the least! Great fun though. I'm only going to put down the days when particularly big things ha...