Sunday 2 September 2018

Review: August 2018

Tomorrow is Freshers Week (weeks earlier than last year), so it's time to talk about what happened in August, and maybe soon about how the summer went. Honestly this month wasn't particularly exciting - I mostly just went to work.


RESEARCH JOB: My summer research project continued until Friday 24th August. I really enjoyed being there for the summer and was sad to leave ... then remembered I'm literally about to start two years of Genetics based in that building and will be working there next summer too, so basically I'm barely leaving the building for the next two years. (When I mentioned this my supervisor was like 'Yeah, two years, that's what I said too...'). Anyway, I spontaneously wrote a report on what I'd done over the summer, partly so my supervisor could see what I'd done and partly so I could remember it and pick up where I left off next summer. I have no ability to judge my own competence and am a very anxious person so I sure hope I did a good job.  

Also, surprise of the century, I love graphs a lot. A whole lot.





20TH BIRTHDAY: Hard to believe that I'm not a teenager anymore but it is what it is. For the day itself Leon and I went to see Incredibles 2 in the cinema, and the night before I came home to lovely fairy lights decorating the room. Earlier that day, my labmates had brought cake and celebrated my birthday with me at break, which was really nice. 

Also, Duolingo had a portentous message for me: 


That same day was also my 18-monthiversary with Leon so I made him this painting and another small gift, and we went to his family's for cake. 


If you don't like the painting, hush. It's the best one I've done so far and took a lot of work.


LEON: Both of us have been working during the summer but we still make time for Mooch, Disney films (lots of Disney lately - we adore Moana), swimming and the odd game. 

EXERCISE: I've continued to swim this month, though not as often as planned because I got a horrible cold for a week or two. 

ART: I've been painting - some good things, some bad - and also tried some stuff in chalk pastel since Leon got me some for my birthday. 

Here's one of the very quick paintings:



And here's a painting that's in progress but that I like a lot so far:


Behold my beautiful many-headed womanbeast. I'm kinda afraid to do anything more in case I ruin it because it's so pretty at the moment. Also, let it be known that the yellow hair is actually a vibrant yellow-green IRL, the camera is just cruel and made everything look washed-out.


Aaand here's some chalk pastel stuff, the first one based off this art that I found on Pinterest via Google Images:


Was very happy with how this went honestly, especially for my first chalk pastel art since I was a kid.

And this one's composition I made up completely, with aid from Google images of butterflies and feathers. 


This one is sorta meh but look, I'm learning.
READING: I didn't read a ton this month, sadly. I finished Code Name Verity in the morning of 1st August on the Dart, Mistborn 2: The Well of Ascension on August 13th just after midnight, and Mistborn 3: The Hero of Ages also just after midnight, but on 2nd September. So if we take out the ~144 pages of the latter that I read in September, I read about 1,814 pages this month, which isn't terrible.

















Also, in exciting news, I got my first physical ARC of a book! I've reviewed plenty of ARCs (advanced reader copies), but those were all ebook versions and I finally got a physical one and it is beautiful. So, uh, publishers, hit me up with some nice physical books please and thank you.


Technically, this isn't the ARC, I think this is actually the final published book. I got the pre-pub version as an ebook and after my review was sent the physical book, a bookmark, a note and even a sticker all the way from America, so thanks to author Lauren Teffeau. You can find my review of Implanted here.


Also, big shout out to the two libraries I use, the Greystones public library and Trinity College library, for providing so many of my books lately. 

SCHRODINGER CONFERENCE VOLUNTEERING: I spent a morning towards the end of August putting together a trillion lanyards for the conference attendees with the other attendees. I had no idea there was so much effort involved in making lanyards! I appreciate all the lovely ones I've been over the years even more now.

NETSOC: Booked a couple of events (which is my job as Events Officer for the Internet Society) and collected our membership cards from the CSC (I did say this was a pretty uneventful month). 

HOMETOWN: After I finished work, I went to Drogheda for a school friend's 21st, which was quite fun and doubled as a school reunion, and then visited my family for the first time in ages, which was cool.

SCHOLS: Went to Commons probably most days in August and had lots of interesting chats with scholars from other courses, as well as some intimidating ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment