Friday 28 June 2019

Review: Two Like Me and You by Chad Gibbs

Two Like Me and YouRating: 3/5
Source: ARC from Netgalley for review
Date finished: 16 June
Pages: 298
Publication date: May 20 2019

Summary: 

A teenage boy breaks an old man with dementia out of his nursing home and smuggles him to France in search of the man's long-lost liver, and in hopes of getting famous to convince his famous girlfriend to get back with him.

Negatives: 


I found this book difficult to get into - it was one of those books where I read a few pages, then put it down for weeks, then once I picked it up again when I'd nothing to do in a bus read the rest in two days. 

The narrator is a perv - are teenage boys just like that? He keeps talking about ogling random girls, and his goal is fairly creepy in general. He was also very reactive, which honestly was fine as a reader but I hear you're not supposed to do that. 


Finally, I didn't find the ending satisfying. There was something in there that I'm pretty sure was supposed to be some grand metaphor but I'm afraid I did not get it. 


Positives:

Once I got into the story, it was a fun adventure, a romp through France with lots of nice little details. It was also solidly funny, and the relationships in it were pretty heart-warming and wholesome, especially the protagonist's relationship with his best friend - a heartfelt male friendship! Amazing! 

While Parker (the girl who drags him into this adventure) was kind of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, she had her own problems and her own goals in life, which I liked. 

In summary: If you can stick with it through the first few pages, a fun and pretty wholesome story.  It wasn't one of those books that stick with me or make me strongly identify with the characters or feel very deep, but it was an enjoyable read.





No comments:

Post a Comment