Friday 27 December 2019

Climate Activist Interviews #2: Grace Maddrell

This is the second week of a series on this blog where I interview other climate activists. I hope these interviews help connect climate activists around the world, boost the good work they're doing, and give potential activists ideas and encouragement for action they could take to fight the climate crisis!

Today's interviewee is Grace Maddrell, a weekly climate striker and Extinction Rebellion activist in Frome, England. She strikes on weekdays for the burning Congo rainforest, and on weekends with Fridays For Future. You can follow her on Twitter at @GraceElm and join her strikes at the Frome Town Hall in Somerset!

Tell me a bit about you - where are you from, what age are you, and what do you do (climate-related and otherwise)?

I'm from England. I was born in Somerset and have lived in the South West of England my whole life. I'm 14 years and 3 months old. 

What has your experience of climate activism been like so far?

Most of the actions I have done have helped to give me hope and make me see that I'm not alone. Being an activist can be hard and stressful and I often feel under acknowledged but I also feel that I am part of this amazing activist family. 

How did you get into environmental activism?

Now that's a boring story! I just heard through classmates the idea that we might go on a school strike back in March, started to think about it more, and emotionally woke up, especially after watching videos of Greta Thunberg. 

What have you learned through your activism?

I've learnt some climate science and stuff about the power of a movement. I've learnt how people working for the same goals feel like family. I've learnt chants and slogans and how to be confident speaking in public. I've done media training and heard scientists talk. A whole bunch of stuff really! 

What are your goals for 2020 for climate action in the UK?

I want our Govt to tell the truth to the people, and commit to carbon zero by 2025. To
consider the aspect of equity in decision making and to form a citizen's assembly and be led by their decisions. Fracking needs to be totally banned, and many things need to be reformed.  I don't have all the answers, so mostly I want the government to listen to the scientists and act on what they say.

What’s something or someone you think more people should know about? 

The carbon budget. We have less than 350 gigatonnes left to emit to have a 67% chance of staying below 1.5°C, the best odds given by the IPCC. With current emissions levels, this will be gone in under 8.5 years. Most people don't even know this exists. 

Also that the people in the global south are already massively suffering the effects of climate breakdown. 

What frustrates you?

Lack of action. Period. Just lack of action and pig-headed denial by many politicians.

What gives you hope and keeps you going?

The amount of people who have joined this movement in such a short time. More than 7 million people joined the strikes on September 20th and 27th.

How can people join or support your activism? 

They can join strikes and XR actions. They can join me outside Frome Town Hall, Somerset, between Monday and Thursday each week to strike for the Congo rainforest, and on Fridays in Bath or Bristol to strike for Fridays For Future. They can join me at weekends in other parts of Frome. They can join XR and other climate action groups, donate, sign petitions, share this stuff on social media and educate others about it. They can use their talents for the cause, e.g. by making a film or writing an article about it. There are so many things. 

Anything coming up we should know about?

Well, the strikes I mentioned on my previous answer aren't gonna stop anytime soon. And In late 2020 the climate summit COP26 will be held in Glasgow.

Do you have any advice for fellow or potential climate activists?

Stay strong. We are with you. Stay non violent. 
It can be hard, but remember that you can tell the coming generations that you did everything you could for them. 

Is there anything you’d like to add that I haven’t mentioned? 

Africa is suffering, as is much of the global south. We need to talk about this and not just about disasters in more privileged places. And we need to platform indigenous voices and the voices of people of colour in this fight, and be led by them to a better world. 

Thank you so much, Grace, for your time and your action!

And to those reading this: Happy #FridaysForFuture! For next Friday, find your local strike point, or start one, and join us!
_____________________________________________________________________________

Answers in these interviews are edited for formatting/grammar/spelling and clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment