Sunday 1 July 2018

Review: June 2018

Hey all! Started some new things in June. 

LAIDLAW SCHOLARSHIP: The first Leadership Weekend for the Trinity Laidlaw Scholars took place near the start of June. We learned about mission, styles of leadership, public speaking, reflection, networking and more. Here's the post about the Leadership Weekend, and here's me, Luke and Mollie outside the Pav afterwards:



Also, the Laidlaw Scholars organised a couple of meetups and went to the Eat Yard and to the Science Gallery for the opening night of their LIFE ON THE EDGES exhibition, so that was cool. I also got to see Shane Bergin at Science Gallery which was great.



RESEARCH JOB: I've been working in Prof. Aoife McLysaght's lab in Trinity doing computational genetics (bioinformatics) research! It's super cool and they're great there. I've done two weeks so far.

EXAM RESULTS: Exam results were a big focus of this month (of my sleepless nights anyway!) and I got them on the 15th of June and am delighted to say I got 86% overall, a first in all 11 modules, a first in all 11 exams, and 100% in my Multivariable Calculus exam. Here's the results post. I had been sooo worried but I did it !!!







CODE: I've been doing a lot of R, mostly for my job but also practising using ggplot2 to make cool data visualisations so I was ready for the job when I started.







I also did the whole Python course on Rosalind in two days! I'm glad I chose Rosalind over Codecademy as it was quicker but more challenging and made sure I actually learned how to manipulate files (read in, write to, etc) rather than just playing within the sandbox like Codecademy does, so it suited me as someone who already knew how to code a bit. I had tried to learn Python on Codecademy before but it frustrated me because it forced me to go through all the exercises like 'what is a variable' and 'basic arithmetic' again when I already knew those from other languages.






PAINTING: I've taken up painting! I went to the local art shop and got some watercolours because y'know what I'm an adult and I can do that. I was a bit eek about the price (18 euro) but I think it's quite good value because it has like 10 pans of watercolour paint, several tubes of paint, three watercolour pencils and a normal pencil, a rubber, a parer, some paper and a mixing palette.

I've been really enjoying it, it's super relaxing and aesthetically pleasing and I'm not even particularly good at art. I've been doing this style where I do a set of similar items around a theme and it's fun.



Characters from Stormlight Archives.



UKULELE: I picked up my ukulele from my family when I visited them and to my horror discovered a string had snapped off. This month I went up to Everest Music & Piano Shop in Bray and they were lovely - they gave me a new string for 2 euro and put it on for free ... and actually gave me the whole thing for free in the end as it happens but anyway they were lovely. 

I've been using my ol' trick of transposing the chords of songs until they're some variant of  C G Am F Em Dm and learning a bunch of songs including Hey There Delilah by the Plain White Ts, Let Her Go by Passenger, Photograph by Ed Sheeran and How Far I'll Go from Moana.



READING: In June I completed Words of Radiance (#2 in the Stormlight Archives series) by Brandon Sanderson (review not up yet because what a book, 5 stars), Lost in Math by Sabine Hossfelder (review/recap here), Junk DNA by Nessa Carey (review/recap here), Inferior by Angela D. Saini (review/recap here), and Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou (review/recap here). 

Copy this code:

















HEATWAVE: Help. It shouldn't be in the high 20s in Ireland. Admittedly it's a lot cooler over here because we're by the sea and it's windy so I tend to actually be kinda cold during the day inside (because I'm wearing a light dress for the weather that's in it) but way too hot at night. Odd.

DATE: Leon and I went on a nice date to Mooch, which was lovely albeit too expensive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment