Monday 17 December 2018

Review: November 2018

LAB REPORTS

Spent large portions of the month tearing my hair out (figuratively) over writing two lab reports that made up a whole module worth 5 credits. It took so long to figure out how to do the particular kind of bloody error bars I needed, and then to figure out gel labelling, and then printing double-sided and making sure the arrows to the gels showed up in the printout, but eventually I got it done, printed, bound and handed in on time, which was a relief. 

PRISON PROJECT

I had done the bulk of this in October but finished off my prison essay quantitative paper on the topic of 'The Relationship Between Public Opinion and Prison Policy in Europe' in November and submitted it on Dec 1st, though the lecturer didn't email a confirmation or anything so I really hope it went through. I'm quite proud of it - I used data from the European Social Survey and SPACE I (European Prisons Report) to look at links between prison sentence lengths, prison conditions measured by space per prisoner, and public opinion on sentencing, conditions and crime.

DATA HANDLING

The bulk of my data handling module (one third each Python, ChIP-seq which is mostly command line use, and statistics) took place during November. I really enjoyed Python, quite enjoyed stats and do not (because I still have to do the project for it) like ChIP-seq, even though I'm familiar with the command line - it's the biological interpretation that's the issue for me.

JS CAREERS TALK

Someone from the TCD careers service came and gave us a talk about internships we could do over the summer on 5th November. Some of it was a bit annoying, like when she asked why people might not be on LinkedIn and didn't understand when I said because LinkedIn shows little respect for data privacy, but overall she did go through a lot of different opportunities. I am very glad I already have two internships sorted for next summer, because so many of these required seeking something outside the country.

GENSOC PUB QUIZ

The genetics society held a fun pub quiz on the 7th that loads of us (undergrads and postgrads and the odd lecturer) went to and really enjoyed. We did come fifth last but I didn't care - I got the very last answer, which I was unsure about (which of Jennifer Doudna and Feng Zhang got the CRISPR patent or something), right, and had a lot of fun during the music round listening to some NOW 74 classics.

LAIDLAW LEADERSHIP DAY

On November 10th, the Laidlaw scholars went to a coworking space near Trinity to do a leadership day. We first heard a panel discussion from someone who works for the Green Party, who was cool, a guy who works in VR/AR, and a filmmaker. We then did a session with Linda Doyle, who's the Dean of Research at Trinity. It was frustrating but quite good - we had to describe our research using only the 1000 most common words, which is basically impossible, and do a postcard symbolising the possible impact of our research. I felt like that was kind of silly because some research is just because it's valuable for humans to expand our knowledge, but I did think of an interesting thing about my codon usage bias research re the importance of understanding why our genome - with all its weird patterns of codon and GC bias, the transposons, duplications, etc - functions the way it does before we try to mess with it with gene editing that could have pleiotropic effects. 

Finally, we had a three-hour session on resilience which was not good at all - the speaker kept getting science wrong, like saying things are passed down via 'gene cells' and - to the amusement of the med scholars - drawing a heartbeat trace wrong, as well as lots more pseudoscience and faux-deepness and saying things like 'failure doesn't exist' when, in the context of our lives within a college environment with rigid failure rules, it very much does. He also said you can't say someone is an angry (or anything else) person, just a person who gets angry sometimes, and the poor guy was argued with a lot about that. I know maybe the science terms nitpicking sounds petty, but I wouldn't do that if I was happy with the rest of the talk, and sadly I was not. The rest of the day was good though, and it was cool to see the other scholars again.

J1 RESEARCH INTERNSHIP

Aoife put me in touch with Emilia, a scientist at Brown University doing cool work in computational genetics, which was exactly what I was looking for, and Emilia and I had a Skype call in mid-November to start sorting out details. I am very excited that I'll get to do a project on the population genetics of the X chromosome. I am less excited about figuring out when to go, my flights, and the visa, but it must be done.

FUNERAL

My grandfather died and I went back to go to his funeral. It was sad and got me thinking a lot about death and the pointlessness of it. It was nice to have a family reunion, though.

BIOINFORMATICS EXAM GRADE

I got my bioinformatics exam grade back on 19th November (the lecturer kindly emailed it to me - I didn't want to walk over to the noticeboard because I'd hurt my foot) and I got 84%, which isn't amazing but is pretty solid.

PYTHON EXAM

On 27th November, I had my Python exam, which was worth 33% of a 5 credit module. It went well and was pretty fun - I like that I get to code for credit. While I only found this out in December, I got 97% in it. 

CHRISTMAS COMMONS

I had been looking forward to bringing my dad and his partner to the much-hyped Christmas Commons to show them how fancy it is, but Dad was sick so I brought some friends instead and still had quite a nice time so I'm glad they could join me.

STUDY

Obviously, I spent a lot of time studying as exam week started on December 10th. Because my more lecture-heavy modules Evolution and Genomics had finished in October, it was easier to keep up with writing up lectures and study, so I was quite happy about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment