Friday 3 January 2020

Climate Activist Interviews #3: Flossie Donnelly

This is the third week of a series on this blog where I interview other climate activists. I hope these interviews help connect climate activists around the world, boost the good work they're doing, and give potential activists ideas and encouragement for action they could take to fight the climate crisis!

Today's interviewee is Flossie Donnelly, who runs Flossie and the Beach Cleaners to deal with plastic pollution and has been climate striking at the Dail in Ireland every week for over a year. 


Tell me a bit about you - where are you from, what age are you, and what do you do (climate-related and otherwise)?
I am from Sandycove [Dublin], I am 12 years old and I clean the beaches weekly to try and help towards climate and change which is plastic related as well [as] climate striking weekly for over a year and talking in public about why we need to take action against plastic pollution and climate change.

How did you get into environmental activism?
I got into environmental activism because of the amount of plastic and rubbish I saw floating in the sea when I was 9.

Tell me about Flossie and the Beach Cleaners.
Flossie and The Beach Cleaners is a marine environmental charity that highlights the extreme problems we are facing with plastic pollution in our oceans and climate change. The charity cleans the beaches locally weekly, and gives plastic pollution and stress-free climate change workshops to junior schools around Ireland, as well as working with TY students. The charity visits a country with a plastic river once a year to connect with the countries that are suffering the most with plastic pollution and to help educate children in Ireland and on the other side of the world. 

What are some highlights of what you’ve done so far?I was very proud to be the first person in Ireland to get the first 2 Seabins! I spoke at International Woman’s Day on behalf of Accenture at the National Convention Centre when I was 10 - this was my first public speaking [experience] and there were 1700 people in the audience. I gave a Ted Talk when I was 11 on plastic pollution and how I feel about [it]. When I was 11 I spoke in front of 11,000 children at the first ever children’s strike for the climate on 11th March. A 2 part documentary was made about me by RTÉ  in 2019 about why I do what I do. I have won a few awards but the award I was blown away by was the Irish Independent  award last year. There have been an awful lot of other things but these are in the top 10!

Have you found community with other environmental activists? 
Yes, Greta has been very supportive towards me as well as other activists around the world, and within Ireland Saoi and Soirse are amazing!

What are your goals for 2020 for climate action in Ireland?
I am going to keep up my weekly climate strike and then when someone requests they need my help in any way I will do whatever I can within my power to help! I will be visiting India to work with conservation societies who are fighting plastic pollution and climate change. There will be more mass relay beach cleans to keep highlighting our problem with plastic pollution. And who knows what else!

What’s something or someone you think more people should know about?
A simple thing is that plastic bags do not go into the re-cycling bin! Someone amazing that people should be listening to is: Gili Eco Trust on Gili T Island...they are AMAZING and do so much to combat climate change and educate in very difficult circumstances as well as re-build coral that is constantly being killed due to climate change. 

What frustrates you?
People who don’t re-cycle properly and people who don’t listen to simple things you can do to combat climate change 

What gives you hope and keeps you going?
Knowing that as long as work together we can solve this problem, negativity gets you nowhere! 

How can people join or support your work?
They can follow me on all social media under: Flossie and The Beach Cleaners or look up our website and send a direct message. I also write a bi-weekly blog that people can follow and contact me!
Do you have any advice for fellow or potential climate activists?
Yes, stop thinking about it and do it!

Thank you so much, Flossie, for your time and your action!

And to those reading this: Happy #FridaysForFuture! For next Friday, find your local strike point, or start one, and join us!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Answers in these interviews are lightly edited for formatting/grammar/spelling and clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment